Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Blimey, a blank blog is daunting. Like being the new boy at school, or being stared at while you put up your tent in a campsite. Above all, I don't like the idea that people will one day stumble across this lying dormant, and read it as over indulgent trash trying to be an internet phenomenon. At least if you get a few years under you, you've given it a good go.


I’m not exactly new to this; I’ve got this, which I’ll happily to say is mine, and I’ve got (or had, I can’t decide) another which I’ve decided to move away from. The one I've left behind was abandoned after the pressure of constantly updating became boring. Not that anyone was reading; but that wasn't the point.

I’ve been thinking about starting again for a while. The question was; do I restart the old blog with its 5 year history, or start a new one? If I go with the former then I need to check 540 plus posts before letting anyone know it's there. You see, the reasons for wanting to start again is that a) I enjoy it and b) I want to be a little less guarded in the fact it exists. I also want to link it up to my Twitter account, and maybe my Facebook page. Both of which is the real me linked to people I know in real life. If I want to do that, the old posts need a polish.

The old blog was a bit raw, not exactly Belle De Jour, but it didn’t have any of the editorial controls and checks I now know I should have applied from the outset. At some point, I might read the lot and import it into this site, giving it one long history. Maybe. But not now.

For the record, the title is basically nonsense; there is no ‘Sometimes Ruffled Bicycle Camp’. The ‘Sometimes Ruffled’ is a repurposing of the previous blog’s name. The ‘Bicycle’ bit is just because I like cycling. The ‘Camp’ follows the fashion for bands with quaint ‘community’ names like , The New Young Pony Club, The Mull Historical Society and The Bombay Bicycle Club (which I have obviously aped, even though I've not heard a note of their music).

Apart from the name and a different design, it’s basically the same blog – it has no particular purpose or agenda, it’ll just talk about me and what I’m interested in. It should get more interesting than this. A bit, anyway.

0 comments:

Post a Comment